Thursday, November 8, 2012

Happily Healing


Happily Healing
Today at the Market I stood in front of a scary looking man. He was big, I mean BIG. He had three deep scars on his face that made me wonder if all the king’s horses and all the king’s men couldn’t have done more for poor Humpty since this guy was miraculously put back together. Our produce mingled at the sudden movement of the conveyer belt and we found ourselves reclaiming our finds of baby white eggplant (mine), ripe bananas (his, I am a survivor but optimistically will always buy green ones) and something labeled “killer cheese”.  Somehow this led to an in depth conversation of whether my mini eggplant was going to be decorative or edible and my inquiry on what he was planning to do with his lethal sounding dairy product. We exchanged laughs and blessings for a good day.

A wise post-op nurse told me “Girl, you will someday realize that you are blessed for having your scars on the outside.  The ones inside are the hardest to heal.” I have a dear friend Heidi who somehow manages to put a positive spin on just about everything. The woman has two baby monitors by her bed; one for her aging mother and the other for her 21 year old son with some pretty high octane disabilities. She is constantly telling him that his challenges are “out there” for the world to see while others inwardly struggle under the guise of a perfectly functioning exterior. I’m so glad I received a well needed reminder that I should  never judge a book by its cover (or a cheese by its name) and even though I’m “in repair” I’m happily healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment