Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Few Words for our Beloved "Double Mary"

I have had a “slam you on the couch” bug all week and have been a bit out of the loop. I was so disheartened this morning when reading the Mary Beth Zolik, who brightens everyone’s morning on 101.5 the River has been diagnosed with cancer. MB came into my life during my days as “critter girl”. I would take animals from the Humane Society to the station in hopes of finding “forever” homes for them through the airwaves. MB connects. She listens. She gives. She is the kind of gal you would want to include in a family dinner and hope she returns for pancakes in the morning. We always joke around that we are born nurturers because we are “double Marys”. I know technically (as my anal retentive physician buddy pointed out) that would mean “Mary” “Mary” but we “get it”. We believe that as a “Mary something” we have an unspoken responsibility and need to make everyone a little better off than when we met them. I still strive for that goal. MB has mastered it.

I am sorry that cancer has come knocking at your door MB. I know you will let it in with grace and dignity. The “unwanted guest” arrives with a suitcase of fear and a backpack of guilt. If you think as you like to call it “Catholic guilt” is heavy, wait until you try to lift the weighing questions of “Why did I let this into our home?” and “How are my kids going to handle this?” As a member of the “C” survivorship fraternity (incredible members BTW but the initiation is brutal) I can tell you that you will be amazed at the blessings to come. So open the door MB, and embrace the unknown foe that entered. As with any unwanted houseguest you will survive its stay with your incredible wit, positive outlook and baked goods. It’s difficult to believe, but this unwanted intruder also arrives with a big hunkin’ duffle bag of grace, love and above all HOPE. It will strengthen your faith and teach you a few lessons. I also know, that in the very near future, you will kick its a** out the door.

In true “double Mary” form, I will pray and pray and pray some more. I carry you in my heart MB.  One final note; I am available 24/7 for panic attacks rarely occur between the hours of 9-5, nose hairs are not only decorative but functional (stock up on tissues) and if you have to “wig out”, go for the dramatic. I was far too conservative and ended up looking like Leave it to Beaver’s Mother June.  

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written... you are making me ugly cry... (that is full blown sobbing blubbering cry) and laugh... "wig out" and i dont know either of you personally, I can only imagine her reaction to your poignant words. Praying for both you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the prayers! I think you need to find your inner writer! I came up with a visual of what and “ugly cry” consisted of in a Nanosecond! Thank you so much for reading. She is such an amazing lady. I know in my heart of hearts that she will make it through this. As a survivor, I cannot tell you how many times statistics, numbers, and “stop you from breathing” probabilities have been blown out of the water by me and my fellow members of the “cancer club”. The powers that be do not factor in faith, positive attitude and frankly a determination to spend one more night looking at the stars with Lauren, Helena, and Maria on Maple Lake. Thank you again and have an eventful, knock your socks off weekend!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete