Saturday, December 29, 2012

TAB (Take A Breath) Lauren's Cooking!


My oldest child is entertaining for the first time this evening in her own abode. She has had friends over before but to a Mom beer pong festivities do not count as REAL entertaining. This should be interesting. Lauren is great at making grilled cheese on her George Foreman, fried eggs, the occasional hamburger and of course reservations. 

It is truly hard to believe that a young woman who can stick tubes up people’s orifices as an ICU nurse is the same woman who called her mother up to learn how to make a pizza. I was so proud! I told her that I had some dough in the freezer she could use, fresh basil in our garden and there was a jar of homemade sauce at her disposal. She quickly stopped me in my tracks and said, “Wait Mom, wait! TAB (take a breath), I just wanted to know if I take the cardboard off the bottom of this before I stick it in the oven.”

I shouldn’t be surprised. On the way to the airport she told me how she mastered titrating drugs, and bonded with a man that was constrained which led to her being sent in other “challenging” patient’s rooms. I slowed down to five to drop her off for curbside check in and she began to panic. “Wait! Where do I get my boarding pass? Where’s the gate? Can I take this bag on? Where are you going?” she asked. I told her I was in total disbelief that she had just finished telling me how she responded to a code but couldn’t get herself on a plane. 

Like I said tonight should be interesting. One thing she has going for her is her tremendous childlike enthusiasm. She is the only 23 year old ICU nurse I know that still stands on couches when she is bursting with excitement and does a “happy dance”.  Good luck tonight Babe with your first non-kegger”. Remember to take things out of the box before heating them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment