Saturday, September 21, 2013

Sleep in for the cure!

Why race?

For many the Race for the Cure is an important part of a survivor’s journey. Why race? This is a question my fellow survivors and I are constantly asked. I can only answer for myself, for the reasons are as varied as the people who have been affected by the disease. It’s not an easy day. It is a day of celebration with an undercurrent of sadness and loss. I still find myself looking for my friends Gretchen Gotthart Skeldon, Liz Ham, and Jackie Darah in the sea of faces. I cannot begin to describe the jumbling of my insides and the ache in my heart when I see a child stroll by with photos of a departed mom or the husband who now walks alone. For me, taking part in the race means I get to play a small part in giving someone one more day with the people they love.
The one thing I constantly hear from the “cape-less” super heroes who have risen above the fear, pain and loss of cancer is that they are more concerned about the people they might leave behind than themselves. I know as a survivor, I worry about my three daughters and frankly, I'm selfish. I want more summers on Maple Lake, “Catch Phrase” games where Helena, totally embarrassed, describes “manhole” as an “opening in a boy," unofficial contests to see how many kids can fit on our couch, hunting for rocks up north and shells down south, acting as official “starfish savers” at the beach, creating chaos, mess and meals in the kitchen, cookie decorating parties that end up in frosting fights … I also want to see them find love and careers where I hope they aren’t stuck in cubicles, make a difference, and can afford more than mac and cheese. I want to continue to be there for every milestone, huge or inconsequential. I also want to be the kind of grandmother that will stick in a child’s heart and take up permanent residence in their memory.
Why race? I race to give the aunt, mom, daughter, or dad more memory making moments. If you are not willing or able to get up Sunday morning, there is a category called "Sleep in for the Cure." I realize how difficult it can be to rally the troops. I usually have to bribe my gang with promises of post-race pancakes. "Sleep for the Cure” allows you to make a donation, receive a race packet and T-shirt while you get to keep your sneakers in the back of the closet. Who knew that you could make a difference in so many lives while hanging under the covers or chilling on the couch? Whether you are racing, walking, strolling, or snoozing, thank you for helping me and countless others have another day.

3 comments:

  1. MH! You are a rock star!
    LOVE,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much harder (and less glamorous) being a rock than a star. Thanks for being mine. X

      Delete
    2. Much harder (and less glamorous) being a rock than a star. Thanks for being mine. X

      Delete